January 26, 2016

Lamington Bites




Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi! Happy Australia Day. Even though I am many miles away I always try to make something that reminds me of the country I grew up in - sausage rolls, fairy bread, butterfly cakes, pavlova - there are just so many great things to choose from. I decided to go back to the classic lamingtons.
I first made lamingtons back in 2014 for my blog, and they were requested by my family again this year. I sometimes wonder if we lived in Australia if we would ever get sick of them, but I am pretty sure we wouldn't. This year I decided to make them into one-bite pieces with a little berry jam in the middle. In Australia you can purchase them three ways - with jam in the middle, jam and cream in the middle, or plain. When I was growing up, instead of girl scout cookies, we had lamington drives (fundraisers) and they were always very successful although there was always a fight as to which dozen we would get as everyone had a favorite filling or wanted them plain.




Officially Australia Day occurred yesterday in Australia (January 26), but they are a day ahead of us, Luckily I made enough so that we could enjoy them on January 26th there and January 26th here - don't you love it when you can celebrate holidays twice? Please click here for my lamington recipe.





2 comments:

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.