December 06, 2013

Candy Cane Bundt Cake - #BundtaMonth



It is time for Bundtamonth!  The theme for this month was to bake a bundt that captures the holiday theme.  I immediately thought of candy canes and how I could incorporate them into a cake. Peppermint alone may have a little overwhelming so I decided to go with a ribbon of peppermint through the middle of the cake, and crushed candy canes on top.

It's always said that it is the most wonderful time of the year right now, but it is the also the busiest time of the year, so for my bundt this month I took a shortcut and used a boxed cake mix.  Don't get me wrong, I love to bake from scratch but there are those times where having a cake mix in the cupboard can be a life saver. This cake can be put together and in the oven in about 15 minutes, and while it is baking you can make the icing.  From start to finish this cake should take you no more than two hours, and you will have an impressive treat to share.  You could even make it as mini bundt and give them away to family and friends as holidays gifts.











Don't be too shocked but I didn't make any changes to this recipe, although it is so simple that what could I possibly change?  Well, I did think of doing a chocolate-peppermint drizzle over the top so I may try that next time.









Here's how you can be a part of #BundtaMonth ~
  • Simple rule: Bake us a bundt with a holiday theme
  • Post it before December 31, 2013
  • Use the #BundtaMonth hashtag in your title. (For ex: title could read – #BundtaMonth: Candy Cane Bundt
  • Add your entry to the Linky tool below
  • Link back to our announcement posts 

Even more bundt fun! Follow Bundt-a-Month on Facebook where we feature all our gorgeous bundt cakes. Or head over to our Pinterest board for inspiration and choose from hundreds of Bundt cake recipes.


If you are looking for ideas make sure you check out these amazing bundts featuring our holiday theme~

>


On a sad note this will our last posts for the Bundtamonth group.  Thanks to Lora and Anuradha for all of the hard work they put into this. I have learned so much in the short time I have been with the bakers, and made some good friends.  Stay tuned as we are hoping to have an announcement soon about a new bundt baking group - we just love those bundts!


Candy Cane Bundt Cake
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients
Cake 
  • 1 box white cake mix
  • Water
  • Vegetable oil
  • Egg whites called for on cake mix box
  • ½ teaspoon red food color
  • ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
White Icing
  • 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 tablespoon milk or water
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla, if desired
Decoration
  • Crushed candy canes or crushed hard peppermint candies, if desired

Preparation
Cake 
  1. Heat oven to 350℉ (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). 
  2. Generously grease and flour 12-cup bundt pan. 
  3. Make cake batter as directed on box. 
  4. Pour about 2 cups batter into pan. 
  5. In small bowl, pour about ¾ cup batter; stir in food color and peppermint extract. 
  6. Carefully pour pink batter over white batter in pan. 
  7. Carefully pour remaining white batter over pink batter.
  8. Bake and cool cake as directed on box.
Icing
  1. In small bowl, mix white icing ingredients. 
  2. If necessary, stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until smooth and spreadable. 
  3. Spread over cake. 
  4. Sprinkle crushed candy on top.

Recipe from Tablespoon.com






17 comments:

  1. Oh MY!!! Look at that drizzle and those crushed peppermints on top!! I can't get enough peppermint this time of year. And my Liv would love that red surprise in the center!!! Printing this for her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Felice your cake looks absolutely beautiful and delicious! Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peppermint is one of my favorite flavors and I love the look of those crushed canes on your white glaze, Felice! Also, I love the swirly pan. I finally broke down and bought one after using the "Peoplehood of the Traveling Swirly Pan" pan this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy. I'm actually signed up for the "Peoplehood of the Traveling Swirly Pan" too, but I'm awaiting my turn. It is what actually got me interested in bundts, and I've certainly enjoyed baking along with this group.

      Delete
  4. Luckily I saw this on FB, because for some reason, it won't show up in Feedly for me. Must be a conspiracy to keep some of your delicious baked goods away from me! ;) I love cake mix shortcuts around this time of year, especially when they're this pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think that the web conspires against me to hide things too. Shortcuts can definitely let you catch your breath during this time of year.

      Delete
  5. Great minds think alike! Love your swirl peppermint cake. It looks SO festive and I bet it tasted amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous cake for Christmas! Time is precious during the holidays and I appreciate your honesty about the box cake. It gives the rest of us permission to cut a corner to save some time. The cake looks beautiful... Love your photo with the plaid ribbon. Have a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan for your lovely comment. I think we all need to support one another and use the shortcuts (when needed) so that we can spend more time with family and friends.

      Delete
  7. How gorgeous is that, perfectly festive!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tara, I've loved baking along in this group with everyone.

      Delete
  8. This cake is beautiful inside and out! stunning cake for December!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was so tasty and beautiful!! Mine didn't turn out quite as pretty as yours did, but it was perfect for Christmas Eve dessert. My in-laws were definitely surprised to see the red center! This is just the type of dessert I needed for such a busy time of year. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.