August 21, 2013

Brandied Peach Crumble Bundt with a Spiced Glaze - #BundtAMonth



I am a little late to the BundtAMonth party, but better late than never. The good news is that I won't be late in the future because I have joined the group so you are guaranteed at least one bundt a month from me.  I am super excited to be bundting-along with the other members of the group and getting to know everyone.  Special thanks to Laura from The Spiced Life for introducing me to the group.

This months theme was peaches.  I really wish that I was able to say that I used fresh peaches just purchased at the Farmers' Market, but the truth is that every peach available here is imported from thousands of miles away.  Each time I go to the store I see the boxes of peaches with the slogan "I'm Ripe", but I know that they are just pretending to be ripe.  One gentle squeeze told me that the peaches were rock hard, and having been fooled once or twice before, I have found that most of the time they do get soft but they have a mealy texture.  I decided not to tempt fate and used canned peaches.  At least this way I knew what I was getting and I wasn't paying $10.99 for inedible peaches.





As soon as I saw the theme peaches I immediately thought of peach crumble.  It just seemed like a good combination to translate into a bundt.  I also knew that I wanted some sort of glaze to drizzle over the top of the bundt.  It seemed natural to use a combination of powdered sugar, the syrup left behind after the peaches had been mixed with the sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and brandy, and a little of the peach juice from the can.  Yep, that definitely worked.  I may have used my fingers to scoop out what was left in the bowl after spooning the glaze over the bundt, but I'm not telling.  The cake itself was delicious too.  Do make sure that you drain the peaches well before you layer them in the cake, or you will have a problem with the cake splitting.  Mine was a little closer than I would have liked to this scenario.

There were so many great bundts this month featuring the wonderful peach, so please take a look at the list here.  I know I am going to be saving quite a few of the recipes to try out soon. The BundtAMonth group also has a Facebook page featuring all of the wonderful bundts made each month and a Pinterest page with so many amazing recipes (and gorgeous pictures).






Brandied Peach Crumble Bundt with a Spiced Glaze
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients ~ 
Bundt
  • 3 cups flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1½ cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
  • 1 cup sour cream
Brandied Peaches 
  • 1 15 oz tin peaches, diced and drained (reserving the liquid), about 1cup
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons brandy (optional)
Crumble
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cubed
  • ½ cup flour
  • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
  • 1 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon nutmeg
Spiced Glaze
  • ¾ cup powdered sugar
  • reserved liquid from brandied peaches & drained peaches
Preparation ~ 
Brandied Peaches
  1. Dice the peaches and place in a medium bowl. 
  2. Toss with sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and brandy. 
  3. Set aside until ready to use.
Crumble
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg.
  2. Using a fork, press the cold butter into the mixture until it's the consistency of a course meal.
  3. Set aside until ready to use.
Bundt
  1. Preheat oven to 350℉ degrees. 
  2. Generously grease and flour the inside of a bundt pan, shaking out any excess flour.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  5. One at a time, add the eggs, mixing thoroughly after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl.
  6. Add the vanilla and combine.
  7. In three additions, add the flour alternating with sour cream.
  8. Fill the pan about ⅓ of the way with batter.
  9. Using a slotted spoon to drain the liquid, layer the peaches on top of the batter evenly (reserve the liquid from the peaches). 
  10. Sprinkle the crumble over the peaches.
  11. Scoop batter on top of the peaches and crumble and smooth out using an offset spatula. Make sure you leave about 1 inch of room from the top of the bundt pan.
  12. Bake for 60-80 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  13. Allow to cool for ONLY 5 minutes in pan before removing a a plate/rack to cool.
Spiced Glaze
  1. Place powdered sugar in a small bowl.
  2. Gradually whisk in the reserved brandied peach liquid, and if needed some of the drained peach liquid, until you reach the desired consistency.
  3. Drizzle glaze over the bundt so it covers the top and drizzles down the edges.

Recipe by ATLATC, adapted from Java Cupcake.




2 comments:

  1. Sound so nice. Another owned booked marked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, You've done it again...made my mouth water! All your bundt cakes are so pretty but I think this Brandied Peach bundt is the prettiest yet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.