January 22, 2013

To Try Tuesday - Browned Butter Snickerdoodles




With folders overflowing with recipes that I have either snipped from my magazines, or bookmarked on my computer, it was about time that I got back to my To Try Tuesdays.  Today's recipe is actually a recent one that appeared in my reader just over a week ago.  Three little words got my immediate attention - Browned Butter Snickerdoodles.

This recipes comes courtesy of The Spiced Life.  I love this blog because it is so eclectic.  Laura is always thinking outside the box so you never know what might be on the blog next - how fun is that!  One day you may see a Lentil & Potato Casserole with Pumpkin & Tomatoes topped with a Phyllo Crust, then you could see something like a Lime Basil Bundt Cake, a Chicken Noodle Soup with Mushrooms, Ginger, and Chinese 5 Spice, and so much more.



Browning the butter gives a lovely nutty flavor to the cookies, and I loved the spices. A few years ago I made Chai Snickerdoodles, which had similar flavorings, but did not call for browned butter.  Special note was made of the suggestions regarding these cookies - make sure you keep whisking the butter as it is browning, chill the dough for at least an hour, and do not crowd the cookie sheet.

These cookies are absolutely delicious.  As soon as they came out of the oven I had to try one - quality control you know.  Actually, that is so not the truth.  The reality is that they just smelled so inviting I couldn't stop myself.  There is nothing better than a cookie warm from the oven.




Browned Butter Snickerdoodles

Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1½ cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon cardamom
  • ¼ ground ginger
  • pinch finely ground black pepper
  • pinch cloves
  • pinch allspice
For the cinnamon-sugar:
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preparation
  1. In a saucepan, preferably stainless steel so you can see the butter, melt the butter on medium heat.  Whisk constantly until the butter turns reddish-golden brown.  Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
  2. In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, vanilla, eggs, and cooled butter.
  3. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, and spices in a bowl. 
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
  5. Chill your dough for 1 hour (or as long as possible, preferably overnight) in the refrigerator.  
  6. Preheat the oven to 350℉. 
  7. Meanwhile mix ½ cup sugar and the 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a bowl. 
  8. Once dough is chilled measure about 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Roll balls in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place dough balls on cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
  9. Bake the cookies 11-13 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown. 
  10. Cool the cookies on the sheet for at least 2 minutes. Remove the cooled cookies from the baking sheet after a few minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  11. Repeat with remaining dough.
  12. Makes about 30 cookies.

Recipe by The Spiced Life, slight adaptations by ATLATC.



2 comments:

  1. Oh I love snickerdoodles and didn't think they could get any better. But brown butter makes everything better! I'm glad you tried these...I can't wait to try them, too! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words and the links! I am never sure what people think of my, um, ecletic-ness lol. But it is true, I just can't put myself in a box. :) Your cookies look like they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.